On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:

> The agreement to include apc in 5.4 is an old one, unfortunately the
> action of doing was just missed. Also, inclusion of the extension
> won't break any code since it is self contained...

I also thought that APC was going to part of PHP 5.4. And I agree with
Ilia that it doesn't matter to the overal stability if we bundle it or
not. It is self contained code, and having it part of the distribution
means more people play with it and use it, and problems are found
earlier. Release early, release often.

Having to delay APC, or basically any other self-contained bit of code
(extensions and new functions/classes/methods) for at least a year, and
perhaps sometimes up to even 2 years, makes very little sense to me. The
more ticker tape we get, the slower we innovate.

Of course, it's likely that things will have bugs, but if we mark it as
"exprimental" in the docs than I see no problems. It makes very little
sense to not allow any "new" code for a whole new year to filter into
PHP. It makes developing new exiciting things for PHP a pain as it
simply sucks to have to wait up to a year and a half for new shiny
things to appear in PHP.

Derick
--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org