Reindl Harald schrieb:
[root@arrakis:~]$ stat /tmp/rhcsvz8QeBL
    File: „/tmp/rhcsvz8QeBL“
Are you sure it is the fopen() what is making it?
I think that some other function/extension may be creating the temporary file
/tmp/rhcsvz8QeBL for you to open, which then fails due to the open_basedir.
errata - it is tempnam() if $dir is not writeable which falls back to /tmp
this fallback should not happen if /tmp is NOT in open_basedir and
tempname() should spit out the error instead the following fopen()

better would be if tempnam() stops and gives out a warning that $dir is
not writeable - it had a reason that the $dir param was used and if
there is an error it is a bad behavior that php takes something else

we are speaking about a programming language and not a gambling machine :-)
I had also tried with tempnam() [there's not tempname()], and it correctly spitted
an open_basedir error and didn't create the file.
Which php version are you using?