Hi!

To summarize: The technical viability of a feature should always be determined
through discussion before voting even starts.

It doesn't matter too much when it happens, as the purpose of the vote is to see if the feature is needed/desired in the form that is proposed. That doesn't mean it will actually be implemented - there are other conditions for that, such as technical viability, willingness to contribute/support, etc. It would be best if they would be closed before voting in order to not waste time, but one should always realize they are necessary in any case, voting or not.

So, I don't really know. In some way it does make sense to give php-src more
voting rights, after all they do know internals better and are more engaged than
other contributors. On the other hand it also is kind of unfair for
everybody else

I'm not sure what you mean by "fair" here. PHP project is not some limited resource that is in common ownership and should be fairly distributed between owners. I think decisions in PHP should be taken by people that have the most ability to take correct decisions that would make PHP more usable, and it has nothing to do with fairness.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/