Hi!

First of all, ob_clean() and ob_end_clean() will raise the same
notice even in PHP 5.3. It seems inconsistent to me to treat these
three differently, so in that regard, PHP 5.4 is actually fixing
behavior (although arguably the other way to approach the problem is
to remove the notice from all three of them).

I don't think ob_end_clean() should produce notices, otherwise it leads
to needless boilerplate code like:

if(ob_get_evel()>0) ob_end_clean();

while you could just write ob_end_clean() and be done with it.
ob_clean() is trickier since it's supposed to leave buffer in place, but
for functions that are supposed to remove the buffer warning doesn't add
any value, only makes people write uglier code.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/