Hi!

Unless I'm mistaken it seems that we have a clear and vicious BC break
here, the kind of changes that are annoying to catch and does not

No, we do not have a BC break here, we have a bugfix here that makes string ops work consistently and only has a problem with completely broken code. I am 100% opposed to changing anything there and re-breaking string offsets because somebody uses string indexes to operate on strings and expect them to work in weird ways that makes $a[0][0] work differently from $b = $a[0]; $b[0]. If you use string offsets on strings, expect them to be converted to numbers, it has been there since forever and only didn't work on chained offsets because of a bug.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/