On 11/23/2011 12:13 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
Richard Quadling wrote:
I agree with Daniel on this.

Just looking for any test relating to isset() to see what tests will
now fail.

So it's not just me :)
I am seeing this break real world projects and can't see a easy way to
fix the break. There is nothing really wrong with the current code
except that the sub keys have yet to be populated.

This is going to be a huge problem for Drupal. Drupal uses deep associative array structures a lot, by design. That means we isset() or empty() on arrays a lot. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I see this change breaking, um, A LOT. And as Daniel noted, the fix is to turn one line of very readable code into 8 lines of hard to read code.

This is not a step forward by any metric I can imagine. It's changing long-standing behavior for no real benefit I can see except perhaps strict adherence to a doc page. However, PHP has always been an "implementation is the standard" language, which means this is a language API change.

Please roll it back to avoid breaking a crapton of existing, legitimate, non-buggy code.

--Larry Garfield