On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> On 11/24/2011 01:44 PM, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I should think twice before seding mail. "abc" as array index is
> > converted to 0 since it's not a integer. So with current code is
> > behave consistently with regards to string to long conversion.
> >
> > However,
> >
> > PHP 5.3
> > php -r '$s = "abc"; var_dump($s[0]["bar"]);'
> > PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use string offset as an array in Command line
> > code on line 1
> >
> > PHP 5.4
> > ./php -r '$s = "abc"; var_dump($s[0]["bar"]);'
> > string(1) "a"
> >
> > Isn't it better to raise notice for accessing string by string index?
> > There is no use to allowing string index access to strings. I think
> > raising notice is feasible. Isn't it?
>
> String index access is still required since they are often numeric
> strings. We could add a notice for non-numeric strings, but the check
> would slow things down a bit.

yeah, as I mentioned before:
"The other improvement (related but not introduced in this change) that I
suggested was that we could also trigger a notice when a "non-applicable"
string offset is passed(defining non-applicable is a little bit hard,
because of the current type-juggling rules, we have to allow $string["1"],
because '1" can come from a database, or get/post, where it would be a
string, not an int, but if we go with the current type juggling,
$string["2_foo_3"] would also be converted to $string[2], which isn't
really intended imo. ."

I would vote for allowing only numbers in the string index/offset: [0-9]+

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu