On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, David Muir wrote:

> Keeping the tz database up to date is a very annoying issue. System tz
> data is typically more up-to-date as it's pushed to the user, while with
> php, you need to have admin rights to install an updated tz database, or
> hope that the packager for your distro (or your web-host) does it for
> you.

Distributions should push the tzdata for PHP just like they do for Java.
Nothing stops them from doing that.

> As far as I can tell, most hosts do not update timezone data from
> PECL. I just checked one host that is still on 5.2:
>
> date/time support     enabled
> "Olson" Timezone Database Version     2010.9
> Timezone Database     internal
> Default timezone     UTC
>
> Sigh...
>
> Ubuntu however reports 0.system as the tz version. Does that mean that
> PHP there is using the system's tz database instead?

It means that they have a crap patch that scans the file system... and
destroys some information that PHP users need to be able to rely on.

Derick

--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org
twitter: @derickr and @xdebug