hi,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Tom Boutell <t...@punkave.com> wrote:
> Good point. Last I tried that it worked poorly - I couldn't find a
> bytecode cache that worked with it, performance was poor - and I
> switched to the Microsoft accelerator and IIS. But things may have
> changed.

APC with rwlock is faster than before under Apache:

http://www.php.net/~pierre/vcqa/apcigninary_perf.png
http://www.php.net/~pierre/vcqa/apc-rwlock-win.pdf

And that was possible only by doing changes in APC only.

Microsoft has no policy or whatever else when it comes to PHP but they
support FastCGI because it was easier for the IIS team to develop
FastCGI support for IIS than trying to get support via ISAPI for all
other languages. But it is imo a bad design solution (long term),
while working very so far.

PHP on windows supports both NTS and TS (Apache) and will certainly
support again TS under IIS again in PHP next.

> Doesn't really explain it on Linux...
>
> But what I really want to know is just how to get predictable behavior
> in my script - after installing a new PHP and pecl I should be able to
> do pecl installs and have them show up in the right extensions folder
> for the PHP I just built, but no such luck.

that's why php-config exists, use it to get which version of PHP is
installed or has to be used (nts, ts, php version, api version, etc.).
That's all parameter you need to know. php-config should give you the
path as well afair.

Cheers,
--
Pierre