I've gone back and re-read a bunch of the old posts on Type Hinting,
and have come to the conclusion that it won't be done any time soon.
Not because it doesn't have merit, but because there are at least a
few fundamental difficulties that are non-trivial to figure out while
still keeping the usefulness.

So, I started thinking of a way that we can work around it.  One
technique that has been passed around is to use object wrappers and
pass objects instead of scalars.  Such as was suggested in:
http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=119543188808737&w=2

One of the problems associated with this, is that before you work with
these types, you need to manually cast them back to the native type
they represent.  We can try to deal with this problem using
__toString, but I don't think that's granular enough to really be of
much use in solving this problem...

Another method we could use, is if we supported operator overloading
in objects.  That way, we could overload the addition operator to
handle the operation.  However, this becomes quite problematic, since
ordering of operations and interaction with disparate class trees is
going to get rather messy (and extremely fragile) quite quick.

Let me throw out another possible solution.  What if we added two new
magic methods to objects:

public function __castTo($type);
public static function __castFrom($value);

With these two methods, we could enable type-hinting by using
something very similar to auto-boxing.  Let me start with a sample
implementation:

class Integer {
    protected $value = 0;
    public function __construct($value) {
        $this->value = $value;
    }
    public function __castTo($type) {
        switch ($type) {
            case 'int':
            case 'numeric':
                return $this->value;
            case 'float':
                return (float) $this->value;
        }
        throw new LogicException('Illegal Cast Operation Performed');
    }
    public static function __castFrom($value) {
        if (!is_scalar($value)) {
            throw new LogicException('Illegal Cast Operation Performed');
        }
        return new static((int) $value);
    }
}

Now, that enables us to do something like:

$int = new Integer(2);
echo $int + 2; // 4, since __castTo was called with "numeric"
echo substr("foobar", 0, $int); // "fo" since __castTo was called with "int"

That demonstrates the __castTo usages.  Now for the __castFrom...

function foo(Integer $int) {
    echo $int + 1;
}

Now, under current rules, calling foo(1) would result in a fatal
error.  However, we could change that to check if the class being
type-hinted for has a __castFrom method on it.  If it does, it would
attempt to cast the value into that class.  So calling foo(1) would
actually internally call `Integer::__castFrom(1)`.  And since that
returns an object of instance Integer, the hint would pass.

These two additions would solve a few issues with type-hinting.  First
off, it solves the "cast to" vs "error if" debate on passing a string
in the place of an integer.  In this case, it would be up to the
__castFrom() method to determine that (thereby enabling both worlds
possible).  Second, it solves the problem of having to wrap clumsy
APIs around scalars for hinting purposes ($foo->getInteger() + 1).
Third, it is still completely optional...  Fourth, it keeps and tries
to embrace the dynamic type-cohersion nature of PHP...

Now, that's not to say it's not without problems.  Here are a few that
I can think of:

1. How should it deal with references?  If I do `function foo(Integer
&$int)`, what should happen?
    - I would argue that if you're trying to reference, the casting
functionality should not be expected to work at all.  But that
introduces some inconsistency there.  Not sure how to solve that...

2. Should it support casting from one object to another?  Meaning if I
pass an SPLInt to something expecting Integer (from two different
trees), should __castFrom be called?
    - I would argue that yes, it should.  That would open the door for
compatibility layers to be built for cross-framework interaction that
happens seamlessly regardless of what was passed in.  But it could get
a bit interesting, since that also could wind up having really
non-obvious side-effects, mainly because of object references...

3. Should "class casting" then be supported?  We can currently do
(int) $foo.  Should we then be able to specify a class in the cast
instead?  (Integer) $foo?
    - I like the concept, but that could be a nightmare to implement
as it's hard to tell if it's a class reference or a constant enclosed
in () for the parser.  And seeing as you can have a constant with the
same name as a class, which should take precedence?

4. Should __toString still be called for string contexts?  Or would
the presence of __castTo then negate the existance of __toString.  So
if you don't implement __castTo(), __toString() would still be called
for a string cast.  But if you do, __castTo would be called instead...
 It would then work for backwards compatibility, while enabling
__toString to be eventually deprecated in favor of __castTo (not for a
long time mind you, but eventually, possibly 6 or 7)...

What do you think?

Anthony