Voting is now closed.  This RFC was passed unanimously 12-0.

I'll commit the changes to 5.4 at the earliest opportunity.  I just
realized that the language was somewhat vague as to whether it should be
applied to 5.3 branch or not; I don't really care either way but I'll
probably just go ahead and apply it to both unless anyone has any
objections.

Thanks!

--Kris