2012/3/9 Lazare Inepologlou <linep...@gmail.com>

> Yes, like that, only better. Since automatic type casting is central in
> PHP, as this is evident after all this discussion, I believe that it
> should
> be better supported. There are two thinks that I would like to see here:
>
> 1. No more magic methods, please.
> 2. It should cover (eventually) casting to and from any type.
>
> :-)
>
> Lazare INEPOLOGLOU
> Ingénieur Logiciel

Hi, Lazare

As you mentioned it in another thread, I like the idea of C# you described ...
Draw a line between explicit and implicit casting.

What the current idea would be is an implicit casting (as I understood
it right).
Let me just repeat your examples:

2012/3/7 Lazare Inepologlou <linep...@gmail.com>
> function test_float( float test ) { ... }
> test_float( 1.0 );  // ok
> test_float( 1 );    // implicit int to float cast, ok
>
> function test_array( array test ) { ... }
> test_array( array() );  // ok
> test_array( 1 );        // no implicit int to array cast, error!
> test_array( (array)1 ); // explicit int to array cast, ok

An explicit type-cast should be always possible and try to get the
very last bit of useful information out of the given bunch. Here it
makes sense to have magic functions for integer, float, string etc.

But as we're here talking about an implicit casting when passing a
class to a function, I don't like the idea of calling the
magic-functions if you paste a class in here as it changes the content
of the variable. This won't make it easy passing a variable as
reference. If you just switch to another type, you can afterwards do
whatever you was able to do before.

Bye
Simon