Hi!

What we really need is what we added in PHP 6. A runtime encoding ini
setting that is distinct from the output charset which we can use here.
That would allow people to fix all their legacy code to a specific
runtime encoding with a single ini setting instead of changing thousands
of lines of code. I propose that we add such a directive to 5.4.1 to
ease migration.

One more charset INI setting? I'm not sure I like this. We have tons of INIs already, and adding a new one each time we change something makes both writing applications and configuring servers harder. But as the manual says, ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are the same for htmlspecialchars() - is it wrong? If yes, what exactly is the different between old and new behavior? I tried to read #61354 but could make little sense out of it, it lacks expected result and I have hard time understanding what is the problem there. Could you explain?

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/