Yes, IF you're using a proper branching model.  If you're just using it the
same way you'd use Subversion, which currently is the direction we seem to
be moving in, those advantages are mostly negated.

I agree that PHP 5.5 (and maybe even 5.6, etc) should come before PHP 6.
That being said, at some point a parallel development workflow might be
prudent IMHO, but even that would be a ways off I think.

--Kris