On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 10:09 AM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >> Maybe, and this is right of the top of my head, if PHP is installed
> >> for a production environment with no INI file, or if an ini file
> >> doesn't alter any of the core settings (maybe a separation of INI
> >> files for core and extensions?), it could be labelled/considered as a
> >> virgin PHP install. Something which could be marketed / advertised.
> >> Essentially, the PHP Group agree that for a production environment,
> >> these are the settings that are the safest to use. If there are
> >> considerations that need to be made for shared hosters, then maybe
> >> some mechanism to set these appropriately. So, for a user coming to an
> >> ISP and looking at hosting, they can see "We use Virgin PHP Settings"
> >> or something like that and know that they won't be different to a
> >> documented "standard". Add this labelling to the phpinfo() page and it
> >> makes things very very clear what is in play.
> >>
> >> Richard.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Quadling
> >> Twitter : EE : Zend : PHPDoc
> >> @RQuadling : e-e.com/M_248814.html : bit.ly/9O8vFY : bit.ly/lFnVea
> >>

> > bump
>
> The biggest problem with the concept of virgin PHP settings being geared
> for production is that by definition that isn't very developer friendly.
> Keeping the learning curve shallow has always been a goal for PHP which
> is why things like display_errors exist. A new developer may not have
> any idea where to look for PHP errors and might give up when all he gets
> is a blank page.
>
> The assumption is that by the time you are ready to put something into
> production you have spent a little bit of time with PHP and you likely
> have stumbled across the suggested production php.ini which is then
> trivial to apply.
>
> -Rasmus

imo the average developer will have php installed through some wamp stack
or the distribution/package manager of his platform, so he/she will have a
php.ini with some sane defaults.
another idea coming from Philip is to have a php.ini-default which could
match with the hard-coded defaults.
either way, I think it would be really nice to have a php.ini which we
could refer as default in the documentation, and people shouldn't need to
look up the php-src to figure out what are the hard-coded defaults and how
those are different from the production/development values.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu