On 3/30/12 12:52 AM, Stas Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

I know this is controversial and some people have been committing to both
5.3 and 5.4 NEWS files. However, we have clear guidance for this:

OK, we need to have specific policy on it, because I'm hearing people
having contradictory opinions on that.

Pre git, I would have strongly voted that when a fix was merged to a
branch then that branch's NEWS file should be updated.  At release
time the NEWS file would be already be complete.  Snapshots would also
be consistent between code & NEWS.

This process differs from the documented one. With the way our git
repo is configured, I don't know if this causes merging issues.

NB the wiki gives git settings for NEWS:

 $ git config merge.NEWS.name "Keep the NEWS file"
 $ git config merge.NEWS.driver 'touch %A'

Chris

--
Email: christopher.jo...@oracle.com
Tel:  +1 650 506 8630