Rasmus,

I think you're missing the difference here.  Let's look at an exception.

try {
    doFoo();
    throwsException();
    doBar();
} catch (Exception $e) {
    doBaz();
}

This is NOT the same as:

doFoo();
throwsException('doBaz');
doBar();

To emulate the exception using continuation passing, you'd need to
pass two functions, a success and a failure.

doFoo();
throwsException('doBaz', 'doBar');

And that's for a single stack level.  Imagine how complicated it would
become if you were dealing with a large stack or multiple throwers.
You'd have something like this:

doFoo();
throwsException1(function() {
    throwsException2(function() {
        doBar();
    },
    function() {
        throwsException3(function() {
            doBaz();
        },
        function() {
            doBiz();
        }
    });
}

It'll get really messy really quick.

As far as your point about keeping multiple stacks, imagine this code:

try {
    throwsInterrupt();
    doSomething();
} catch (Interrupt $i) {
    callFuncThatInternallyCallsAnotherThatThrowsInterrup();
    resume;
}

Now, you have 3 independent stacks that are raised.  The one for the
original call to throwsInterrupt, one for the function that internally
calls another that throws, and one for the internal interrupt itself.
All three would need to be detached at some point from the execution
stack and saved for resume.  So you're not only unwinding the stacks,
but saving them as well incase the interrupt is resumed (to re-wind
the stack).

Right now, Exceptions don't have this problem, since the stack is
never rewound.  So it only grows or is unwound based on the exception
tree...

Not to mention that code execution is always linear in an exception
case.  It's not possible that code flow will magically jump around.
Sure, you could emulate it with goto (
http://codepad.viper-7.com/i3Dhv4 ).  But that's explicitly jumping
around.

Anthony