NOTE: Although related/solving some of the same problems; skipping optional
parameters (several commas or using 'default' keyword) is different from
using named parameters.
And both have different supporters/haters over each change.

I wouldn't like to restart the whole debate over the KISS, "Not the PHP
way", or the alternate ways work around the original issue.

But on a personal opinion, I'd like to see named parameters implemented -
which also solves the skipping optionals regardless of the order - the only
concern of the community at large might be the proper syntax..

I also suggested the even shorter array syntax for 5.4:
http://php.net/migration54.new-features
Which would use the colon as a separator
$a = ['one': 1, 'two': 2, 'three': 3, 'four': 4];

And the idea it would be simpler/efficient/readable inspired some dissent
over both the readability and the PHP-way.

So I'm not sure if your suggestion won't keep the same issue...