On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:37:30 +0200, Pierre Joye wrote:
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Gustavo Lopes <glo...@nebm.ist.utl.pt> wrote:

So would you have RuleBasedBreakIterator renamed IntlRuleBasedBreakIterator
too?...

Ideally we would yes, while they are less common and less aimed to be
seen as part of another API.

I find it very hard to believe that "BreakIterator" is "a very
common name", but I'm open to evidence that points otherwise. This argument
could maybe be made for 'Transliterator', which was added in 5.4.

Transliterator is not confusing as "BreakIterator", sorry.

You removed the quoting that provided context, but I was responding to your claim that it was a "very common name" and that you "suspected naming conflicts might happen".

But in fact "Transliterator" is much more confusing than "BreakIterator". In fact, the name "Transliterator" is an ICU artifact of the past, that module is now called "Text Transformation" as it provides a generic text transformation API, not specifically for transliteration.

--
Gustavo Lopes