On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 14:34 +0200, Gustavo Lopes wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 14:17:04 +0200, Paul Dragoonis <dragoo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I attempted to get (and failed) some attention on my request that I
> > posted to php-webmaster mailing list, so I'm escalating it here:
> >
> > http://news.php.net/php.webmaster/13696
> >

> I agree that this request should not be granted. I don't see why we should
> be in the business of, among other things, deciding whether code should be
> indented or otherwise formatted.

I think it is a good thing to push many things to userland. The PHP Core
distribution should be limited to things we want everywhere and/or which
have technical benefit from being implemented in C.

For pushing more stuff to userland some common guidelines make sense.

But looking at that specific group and request doesn't seem good to me.

      * Historically that group decided that they don't like "the
        PHP.net way" but wanted their controlled group, I think they've
        opened up, though.
      * This request is a bit strange. It reads (maybe partly due to my
        non-native language) like "Make us look like an official php
        thing without following other php.net processes etc." The
        initial mail doesn't even say why a php.net address is needed.
        They "need" a page, while saying that github can already provide
        that. Why is php.net involved? Usually I would expect a
        discussion whether php.net should publish standards first.

Sorry if this is overly critical.

johannes