Anthony Ferrara wrote:
> 1. Change the error handling system from the current E_* system to typed
> exceptions for everything but advisory errors (E_STRICT, E_NOTICE,
> E_DEPRECATED). Why? Because the current error system encourages ignoring or
> not checking what the error was, and it makes defensive programming quite
> difficult. This is arguable and preference for sure, but it's a major
> change that could have large benefits.

+1. It's strange to me that PHP doesn't use exceptions in the areas
where they apply. For example, catchable fatal errors could almost
always be represented as an exception for better handling (IMHO).

> 3. Make all zval types pseudo-objects. Basically enabling something akin to
> auto-boxing allowing a significant amount of the standard library to be
> eventually deprecated in favor of acting on methods (not initially, but
> opens the door).

+1. I'd love to be able to extend primitive types. If that's possible,
methods on primitives could be implemented entirely in userland.

----

I'd also like to see more Unicode (by which I mean UTF-8). I'd like to
see the string methods split into byte-level and character-level where
needed, with character-level functions based on mbstring.
--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>