Sherif Ramadan wrote:
I propose choosing a different version naming for the next branch.
Perhaps we can skip 6 since it got nowhere and move right to 7. I'm
sure that's superficial right now, but will be important for the sake
of not confusing anyone that may have read or heard about what PHP 6
was once planned to be.

Which is perhaps why we had 5.3 with some major structural changes when that would have been better with a major number advance ... The confusion at that time with PHP6 'roadmap' prevented leaving PHP5.2 with some better longer term support.

But I agree with Pierre that skipping 6 is a little pointless just because people jumped on a bandwagon that had not even been put into Alpha and produced vapourware books.

The problem currently is producing a roadmap that we can all agree on and are happy to work towards. I see some of the re-factoring as a lot more practical than some of the facilities that are being forced on us by the likes of E_STRICT compliance. Many of my existing sites will never be E_STRICT compliant, it's not worth the time, so I need to maintain a version of PHP that supports those sites securely! And PHP5.2 is still the safest base for those sites but is no longer 'secure' ... how many hundreds of thousands of sites currently live need all of the PHP5.3+ facilities switched off?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL