Pierre Joye wrote:
This idea has been proposed many times in the past and it is actually
a very good proposal, for array, string or other types.

The only reason why it is not yet implemented is the technical
complexity to do it. We need pseudo objects and the likes, and it is
really not something easy to do, in an efficient enough way.

Probably a silly question, but what popped into my mind was the way C++ was supposed to enhance C by adding these sort of rich functions in extra libraries. As a stepping stone, couldn't the mbstring package be re-factored as an OO library and used as a testbed for a new strings API? I would assume that this would all be natively multibyte aware from day one and I can't think of anything that is missing from mbstring?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL