Hi!

> The current idea would be to skip every second release (unless security
> issues demand something else) both in release date as well as version
> number. So for instance 5.4.6 will be released sometime next month
> alone. A month later there will be 5.3.17 and 5.4.7.

I think it makes sense.

> Doing this has an obvious issue, though: NEWS entries are currently only
> placed in the lowest branch. With the example from above and the current
> way the NEWS are handled 5.4.6 NEWS would be quite small and there would
> be no 5.3 NEWS to check for further things.

I think note in the NEWS should be placed immediately when the bug is
fixed (at least the lowest version NEWS). However, if we want the bug to
appear in all NEWS for both 5.4 and 5.3, I think we'd have to ask people
to put note in both. I, on my part, am reviewing NEWS periodically and
merge entries that I can find that are in 5.3 but not in 5.4.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/