Hello,

This project is interesting but it is also possible to do it only with PHP.
As a proof of concept, I would like to share some links with you. First one: http://hg.hoa-project.net/Central/file/tip/Library/Console/Readline/Readline.php, which is highly hackable: we can add mappings (esc, ctrl, abc…), history (when pressing key up and key down) and it works as an infinite automaton based on the STATE_* constants. And thanks to PHP and its static:: keyword, we can overload states, e.g.: http://hg.hoa-project.net/Central/file/tip/Library/Console/Readline/Password.php. Hop, password is hidden :-). This library has some limitations: it does not support multibytes (Unicode) and has an unlimited history (which can cause memory errors), but it is a (advanced-)POC. It works on Unix-based system, actually STTY-based shells, and has a pretty simple fallback for DOS. It does not require PHP to be compiled --with-readline, it uses stty options instead. And finally, it uses around 850 lines of codes (with comments + licences).

Best regards :-).