Comments inline.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Giedrius Dubinskas
<d.giedr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Internals!
>
> I'm just on and off luker here but thought I'll throw in an idea for a
> feature I'd love to see in PHP: aliasing static methods.
>
> Syntax would look something like this:
>
>   use Namespaced\SomeClass::staticMethod;
>   use Some\Foo::bar as fooBar;
>
>   staticMethod(); // would call Namespaced\SomeClass::staticMethod()

Then you're confusing the reader, they think you're calling a
function, but you're actually calling a class method. Confusion++

>   fooBar(); // would call Some\Foo::bar()

What if a function called staticMethod() already exists, there'd be a
bunch of confusion on referring to the right one.

> This would make code more readable, by removing the the noise of
> repetition of class names. For use cases we can look at Java use cases
> for "import static".

When you find a function call, you'd have to scroll up to the top of
the page to see if it's actually a method alias. In this case being
explicit is a good thing, no scrolling, no confusion.

> Aliasing class constants like that would also be very nice.
>
> What does everyone think?
> Would it be possible in PHP?
>
> --
> Giedrius Dubinskas

Not that I don't welcome your suggestions, I encourage them, but for
this paritcular one I vote -1 on it.

Thanks.