On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM, David Muir <davidkm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Upstart support would be good to have too.

I'm aware of Upstart having some basic socket activation support, and
I'm happy to provide advice on the PHP-FPM/Linux side for integrating
it in follow-up work.  All socket activation basically works the same
way, in the sense of a file descriptor getting handed into the daemon.

I eventually foresee either a standardization of environmental
variables for handing in sockets or a "libsocketactivation" that looks
for the appropriate environmental variables for your superserver or
init daemon.

> I take it that this would allow restarting specific pools? That would be
> a really nice to have.

I didn't really think about it because we've always run an instance of
PHP-FPM per pool to have such capability, but that's certainly the
case. If template-based services (not discussed in or related to the
RFC) like those in systemd become more widespread, I'd imagine a lot
of applications like nginx, Apache, and PHP-FPM could cede their
internal virtual host/multi-pool models in favor of standardized
provisioning of multiple instances.

--
David Strauss