Hi!

> http://wiki.php.net/rfc/uconverter
>
> Discuss!

Looks nice. Some points:

1. transcode() accepts options, but there's no comparable way to set
options to the object. I think these APIs should be synchronized.
Imagine code keeping options in array/config object - it's be really
annoying to have two separate procedures to feed these to object and to
transcode().
Also, description of options would be helpful.

2. Shouldn't "Enumeration and lookup" methods be static? They look like
independent from encodings and don't use the object.

3. For "Advanced Use", I think "no error" condition should be the
default and not requiring explicit action.

4. I think error reporting should match other intl functions. It'd not
really be good if intl submodules would be all different in error
reporting.

5. What is $source parameter for callbacks?

6. Why toUCallback returns string but fromUCallback gets codepoint as
long? Shouldn't those be the same - i.e., if toU returns unicode
codepoint, it should be long? Or it can return multiple codepoints? In
which case it becomes confusing as we represent codepoints as both
string and long in the same API.

7. Link to ICU API from the RFC would be helpful for reviewers and later
docs, I think.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/