Hi!

> Fatal error: Call to private method a::__setb() from context ''...
>
> Or...
>
> Fatal error: Cannot set private property a::$b.
>
> Which makes more sense to the most people?

Either of these is fine. I'm not talking about that though. You said:
"stack traces, reflection, etc would hide the engines implementation
details". That means that every part of the engine that deals with stack
and reflection should be modified, for no reason other than to hide the
scary fact of existence of accessor methods. I think this should not be
done - stack traces should show stack as it is, and that's it.
Reflection should show the methods as they are, and that's it. No
additional complications and special exceptions in order not to hurt the
feelings of (imaginary) easily scared and confused users.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/