On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Pierrick Charron <pierr...@webstart.fr>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> About 2 month ago, we had a discussion on this list about the fact
> that CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST was most of the time used with a Boolean
> value (true) instead of int values (0,1 or 2). This bad usage was
> leading to some security issues. The result of this discussion was to
> trigger a notice if someone tried to set the CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to
> true (boolean), and was committed to >= 5.4
>
> On November 20th, Daniel (the author of libcurl) released cURL 7.28.1
> which no longer support the 1 value for CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST. This
> change introduced some bugs as #63795 (you'll find the cause of the
> bug in the comments).
>
> To fix this bug, and to minimize as much as possible the impact of
> this change, I'm proposing to do the following changes in the libcurl
> extension for future releases :
>
> When using libcurl < 7.28.1, if someone try to set
> CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to 1 (or true), set the value to 1, but trigger
> a notice to inform that this value is deprecated.

I dont know if it is the good way to deal with that. Does the PHP user have
to be aware that
the underlying libcurl is gonna change ? The deprecated message may let
him think that in the next *PHP* version, the value will have disapeared,
but in fact,
its in the next *libcurl* version, regardless PHP version.

> When using libcurl >= 7.28.1 if someone try to set
> CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to 1 (or true), set CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to
> 2, trigger a notice to inform the user that this value is no longer
> supported as of libcurl 7.28.1 but keep returning true.

Ok

> Also, as stated by Remy in bug #63795, when PHP is built with
> curl-wrappers, the context option "curl_verify_ssl_host" sets
> CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to 1. I would like to modify this code to set
> CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST to 2. Since curl-wrappers is still marked as
> experimental I don't think this will cause a lot of troubles.
>
> If you have any comment, please do, otherwise, I'll commit those
> changes on Friday to all branches (including 5.3).

Julien.P