Before we all bikeshed on the syntax, shouldn't we be figuring out the feature-set first?

Over in PHP-FIG, we've found it useful to audit the existing market to see what's in use. That doesn't dictate decisions we make, but it can be instructional. Eg, if we find that most annotation-using projects out there currently support and use arrays in annotations, then any core implementation really needs to support that as well in order to be a reasonable replacement. Maybe not in the same way, but feature-parity with the current market is the bare-minimum for any such core feature to be successful. It could certainly go farther, but it cannot go less-far.

--Larry Garfield