On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Anthony Ferrara wrote:
>
> > Rasmus wrote:
> >
> > > This is my worry as well. Especially when it comes to opcode cache
> > > support. Most of the patches I see these days completely ignore the
> > > opcode cache side of things which needs to change. For any large
> > > language-level change, any implementation that doesn't also include
> > > an APC diff, or at least a very complete explanation of how it will
> > > be generally supported by opcode caches just isn't complete.
>
> <snip>
>
> > So I guess my point is rather than passing the message that people
> > making language changes need to think about APC, I think the message
> > should be that APC needs to get into core (and should be made an
> > initiative)... As it stands now, it's just going to keep causing
> > pain...
>
> It was a plan in the past, I think we should just do it - now.

I fully 100% agree with that.
Reading Rasmus 5min ago on the other topic (annotations) made me think
about writing such a topic again. But Anthony's been faster ;-)

Rasmus, Anthony's arguments make full sense : if any Core feature addition
need to be thought so that APC need to be patched correctly, then we have
to move APC to Core.
Not having at least one default Opcode cache solution in Core, even
disabled by default in runtime configuration really is a nonsense.
And I guess this will solve the "PHP5.4 adoption problem" as well, you see
what I mean, so we won't meet it again in the future. That's been very bad
for 5.4 adoption, and for PHP itself though.

kindly,

Julien.Pauli