On 1/9/13 12:09 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On 01/09/2013 09:45 AM, Anthony Ferrara wrote:

PHP NEEDS a vision. It needs something to guide development. Not everyone
will agree with it. And that's the point. It levels the playing field for
contributions and discussions. Rather than every developer playing for
themselves and saying "I hope this never happens", it puts it in the
context of "I don't believe this fits our vision". Note the difference in
tone between them.

The vision has been the same for years. A general purpose scripting
language with a focus on web development. You are simply saying you want
the vision to be more specific than that because everyone has a
different view of what web development means. But even if we narrow the
vision, it will still be open to a lot interpretation. We try to strike
a balance between the different and changing views of web development
the same way we strike a balance between appealing to weekend warriors
and top-100 trafficed sites. No vision statement is going to answer the
question of whether annotations should be in docblocks or in the core
language. That's simply not what vision statements do.

-Rasmus

Sure. A vision statement won't say "annotations FTW" or "Objects FTL". But it provides a soft metric and rough target toward which to keep moving, and we can all subjectively measure proposals against that metric, rather than subjectively against our own personal metrics.

As a former member of the Board of Directors for the Drupal Association, I feel having a formal visioning process is one of the best things we ever did.

+1 to Anthony on needing an actual publicly-documented vision for the PHP project. Even if it doesn't have a BDFL, having some clear standard against which we measure the essence of proposals would be beneficial.

--Larry Garfield