On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:35:14 +0100, Sherif Ramadan <theanomaly...@gmail.com> wrote:
What I'm saying is this kind of behavior needs far more serious reasoning
than the very naive assesment you're making above.

I mean that with all due respect. Just wondering if there is another take
on this from anyone else?

I think the current behavior is most appropriate one for var_dump() (and array casts/get_object_vars()). It's the same behavior as if you had manually defined getXXX() methods or used __get().

If you start marking function calls, you get new problems like handling getters that throw exceptions or have side effects ("the code behaves differently when add a var_dump()?!").

--
Gustavo Lopes