On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickalla...@php.net>wrote:

> 2013/2/15 Julien Pauli <jpa...@php.net>:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As you may know, Zend recently open sourced ZendOptimizer+ with a PHP
> > Licence.
> > We are planning to merge it to PHP5.5 Core (discussions on Mailing lists
> > and IRC) and have it bundled with PHP5.5 final release stable.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but this is part of the following RFC:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/optimizerplus which contains some voting
> options.
> Isn't a vote supposed to happen *before* it is actually merged or did
> I miss something (#pecl ?).

I must have missed the discussion where the voting was skipped, but I am
kind of concerned that such a big change is going to make it into a feature
frozen version (where we won't be able to say this should be removed (BC
and all that)) without a vote.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm opposed to this addition as I think it's
great, but I'd like an opportunity to test it out first and play around
with it for a few weeks. It's hard to find major problems without a lot of
testing and then our biggest problem is always BC. We always find BC to be
one of the biggest reasons to hold off on changing stuff.

I have looked at the code but in my experience you don't find real bugs
until you start testing code you already have working in production on
these patches to find the really annoying bugs.