On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 03:26:26AM -0800, Sara Golemon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:
> > Opening RFC to allow trailing comma in function call argument lists
> >
> > https://wiki.php.net/rfc/trailing-comma-function-args
> >
> For the record, I've updated the RFC just now to include
> function/method/closure declarations as well:
>
> function foo(
>   $bar,
>   $baz,
> ) {
>
> }
>
> Not a pattern I see as much, but for the sake of consistency, it
> doesn't hurt to put it on the table for discussion.

I would argue against the RFC.

The trailing comma is useful with arrays since it is not uncommon that members
need to be added to an array over time. This is often as a result of changes
outside of the program (eg: another user added to an ACL). Such a change does
not alter the purpose or functionality that is represented by the array, it just
does it for more somethings (users in my example).

Much source/version control is line based and so trailing commas helps keep
differences short.

With functions: I do not see arguments being added in the same way, ie you are
getting the function to do more of the same by adding an extra argument. If an
extra argument is added it is because what the function does has changed in
some way.
This is very different from the just-a-bit-more scenario that you have with
arrays.

If a function has a list of arguments that is expected to change, many
programmers would do that by passing an array to the function and arrays can
already have trailing commands ....

Also: many other languages (eg C, Perl) allow a trailing comma in arrays, but
not to function arguments. This change would make PHP different from what many
programmers might expect.

--
Alain Williams
Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT