Seva,

I understand that you can reference properties more consistently
using "{fullClassName}::{fieldName}" notation, but it's still a string, and
although it's now almost practically safe to assume that strings formatted
in that way are property-references, it still doesn't address the problem
in a way that is elegant or expressive.

I don't think the Symfony component could have done a much better job under
the circumstances, at least not without the sacrifice of readable code -
typing out new PropertyReference($object, 'User::$name') sure would be
clunky, and not even really safe, since you can't guarantee that the
class-name of $object is known, and in every property-reference, the User
class-reference is now embedded statically in every property-reference, in
the form of a string.

I think this is a good example of those times when PHP developers tend to
look far, far away from Java - as far away as possible - for solutions that
are elegant and a good fit for PHP.

new PropertyReference($object, 'User::$name') contains two static
references too many, to both PropertyReference and User.

As opposed to ^$user->name which contains the minimum amount of required
information - the object and property-name, nothing else.