On Fri, 24 May 2013, Leszek Krupiński wrote:

> On 2013-05-24 10:34, Johannes Schlüter wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 01:16 -0700, Kris Craig wrote:
> > > Couldn't we take a page from MySQL's book and have a setup script that
> > > prompts the admin for this (much like theirs prompts for a root password).
> > >   A reminder to run it could be added as a nag at the end of the install;
> > > or, perhaps even have it give you these setup prompts at the end of make
> > > install.  This way, any environment-specific settings we think should be
> > > there that don't have obvious defaults, like date.timezone, could be added
> > > as prompts in the setup script.  This would enable even inexperienced
> > > admins to add these settings without cluttering-up the bugs tracker.
> > An estimate of >90% of our users who are actually installing PHP
> > themselves are using distribution packages of PHP and not our sources.
> > They expect `[yum|apt-get|...] install php` to be the whole installation
> > process.
>
> Yet it's not uncommon for yum/apt-get/whatever to ask for input (like
> mentioned MySQL asking for root password).

I'm pretty sure apt can read the configuration from their "tzdata"
package to add the correct setting to php.ini:

        a=`debconf-show tzdata | grep Areas | sed 's/.*\s//'`; b=`debconf-show
tzdata | grep Zones/$a | sed 's/.*\s//'`; echo "$a/$b"

However, that is something for distributions to do as each
distribution's mechanism is different.

cheers,
Derick