On 10/06/13 19:33, Nikita Popov wrote:
We just published some rather extensive documentation on internal object
orientation:

     http://www.phpinternalsbook.com/classes_objects.html

This is part of a larger project aimed at documenting the engine and making
it accessible to new contributors.
This looks like an excellent beginning so thanks.  A few general comments:

1) I notice that your book is "© Copyright 2013, Julien Pauli - Anthony Ferrara - Nikita Popov. All Rights Reserved" rather than GDFL or one of the CC variants of open document licences. They only issue that I see here is that I -- and possibly others -- might be a bit guarded in providing comment and input if that content was being transferred to the authors unconditionally. Also if you are reserving all rights then you will need to be careful to ensure that all the content is yours and not extracted from an open or other 3rd party source. Surely this going to add to your authoring burden?

2) Wikipedia, for example, contains a lot of good in-depth explanation of CompSci concepts and standard patterns such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_table. You might consider the content cut: when you include basic discussion of 101 principles (e.g. on HashTables); and when you limit your content to their PHP-specific implementation, with suitable references to the 101 stuff. Tending to the former will make the book a lot longer, albeit standalone. Your call, but I would have thought that the majority of the readership by nature will have some CompSci background and so want to skip the 101 stuff, or be referenced out to the appropriate in-depth WP or other reference.

3) What is your preferred markup format for feedback and contributions? E.g. do you maintain an ODF or Docbook XML under some accessible git repository, or is is a case of (for example)

   hashtables/basic_structure.html para at line 138.  Not quite true that
   "the arBucket array will never shrink down: you can not reduce a PHP
   array, you only can grow it".  You can always implement your own
   resizer by realloing the arBucket array and the calling
   zend_hash_rehash() to do this. (This would be a good standard hash
   API function by the way.

But good luck and this will be an extremely useful project to help those wishing to get to grips with PHP internals.

Regards
Terry

(Resend including internals list)