On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Leigh <lei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 August 2013 13:39, Sebastian Krebs <krebs....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tbh I don't get the real problem with the _current_ behaviour. Who need
>> the
>> entropy, can set it as second parameter and I am not sure, if it is wise
>> use uniqid() for _security purposes_.
>>

> It's absolutely not wise to use it for anything security related, the
> purpose of the function is simply to provide a unique value within a
> system, not a random value, not an unpredictable value.

I agree.

However, I suppose there are many applications that rely on uniqid() for
critical features like payment or authentication.

We need better function as basic feature of PHP. unique_hash() or
hash_unique() might be good. UUID works and is much better but generating
unique hash just like session ID is trivial to implement.

Any comments on this?

--
Yasuo Ohgaki
yohg...@ohgaki.net