Jakub Zelenka in php.internals (Sat, 24 Aug 2013 20:16:21 +0100):
>However the current php openssl extension is not very nice. It's missing
>lots of features and functions supported in OpenSSL lib. The API is only
>functional and the implementation is not great.
>
>I decided to create a new objective binding for OpenSSL crypto lib. It's
>available on https://github.com/bukka/php-crypto . The extension is in
>development and only few features are available. Currently there are two
>usable classes Crypt\Cipher and Crypto\Digest. They are sort of context
>wrappers that have support for init / update / final methods. Please see
>the API doc and examples in README for more details.

This looks like a promising extension. For the die-hard Windows lovers I
managed to compile it as php_crypto.dll. It is inside my latest PHP
5.4.9 build:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8954372/php-5.4.19-nts-Win32-VC9-x86.zip

I will add the extension to my list of extensions, so any future build
will have it as well (after a git pull). See my builds at
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Jan