hi,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Terry Ellison <ellison.te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I understand that, but the code processes the elements in this dirname,
> basename, filename, extension order so the two statements are equivalent in
> implementation.
>
> I am an experienced developer but a newbie-ish to the PHP developer
> community, and I come back to my Q.  What do we typically do if we come
> across such weird functional behaviour outside the documented use of a
> standard function?
>
> * Shrug our shoulders and say "That's PHP for you.  BC rules"

As of now, this is the rule. BC has a much higher priority than some
weird edge cases bug fixes.

> * Fix the documentation to say what the code actually does

That should be the case as much as possible :)

> * Fix the code at the next major release, say 5.6 to have sensible error
> behaviour.

This is always a gray zone, especially if changes behaviors and then
introduces BC issues. BC breaks are the biggest problems in php.
Obviously I am not referring to new notices or warnings but actual
behaviors changes.

Cheers,
--
Pierre