Hi Joe,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Joe Watkins <krak...@php.net> wrote:
>
>> How could you override them ??
>>

> It's in PoC patch.
> I made it while 5.5 was in beta, but it would work.
>

>> If they are removed then they cannot be referenced.
>>
>> If they are not being removed then nothing is being simplified ...
>>

> The most important objective is when you are using 'UTF-8' (I guess it's
> standard today)
> All you should do is
>
>  default_charset='UTF-8'
>
> then PHP uses the setting anywhere it can apply. (e.g. htmlspecialchars,
> mbstring functions, etc)
> I have to work on functions, but php.ini related staff is in PoC patch.

I forgot to mention that it helps i18n applications also.

For example, preg and sqlite only accepts UTF-8 as MBCS char. Users may
write

if (ini_get('default_charset') !== 'UTF-8') {
   $str = mb_convert_encoding($str, 'UTF-8');
}
preg, sqlite function calls here.

It simplifies things for sure.
I'll add these in RFC later.