Good evening,

PHP’s type hinting system is rather incomplete as it does not support scalars,
only arrays, callables and objects. In 2012, Anthony Ferrara created an RFC
which proposed type hinting for scalar types (int, float, bool, string and
resource) with casting, with behaviour nearly the same as that of
zend_parse_parameters. Sadly, he later left PHP internals and withdrew his RFCs.

Since I am very much in favour of scalar type hints, I’ve updated the patch to
master and made some minor improvements, and I am re-opening the RFC with the
intent to try and get it into PHP 5.7. The patch is mostly there. It needs some
more tests and there are some edge cases I need to deal with, but it otherwise
works, and I expect I can finish fixing it up very soon.

The RFC is here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/scalar_type_hinting_with_cast

A pull request is here: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/717

I’m hoping I can get this into PHP 5.7. I think scalar type hinting would be a
valuable addition to PHP’s existing type hinting system.

Thanks!
--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/