On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:

> Hi Tjerk,
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Tjerk Meesters <tjerk.meest...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Why should `password_verify()` work on a hash that wasn't generated with
>> `password_hash()`? The fact that it uses `crypt()` internally should not
>> leak outside of its API, imho.
>

> password_*() is designed as crypt() wrapper and this fact is documented
> since it was released.
>
> Obsolete password hash is easy to verify with password_needs_rehash().
> Developers can check password database easily with password_needs_rehash().

The documentation states that the `hash` argument to both
`password_needs_rehash()` and `password_verify()` is:

    hash - A hash created by password_hash().

Passing a value from your own crypt() implementation may work, but that
shouldn't be relied upon. I certainly wouldn't classify it as a problem
that should be fixed in the password api.

i.e. They don't have to parse password hash to detect obsolete hash.

> Therefore, using password_*() for crypt() generated passwords makes sense.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Yasuo Ohgaki
> yohg...@ohgaki.net