hi Zeev,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
> All,
>

> As we’re getting closer to release 5.6.0, and given the very high level of
> interest in phpng, I think it’s time for us to provide some clarity
> regarding what happens post 5.6.0.
>

> Dmitry and I wrote an RFC proposing that we merge phpng into master and
> turn it into the basis of the next major version of PHP (name TBD).
>

> The RFC is available at https://wiki.php.net/rfc/phpng
>

> Some supporting links available down below.
>

> Comments welcome!

Quoting Dmitry's mail from last week "phpng is an experimental
branch", as such, I see no appealing reasons to replace master with
phpng and use phpng as base for the next major version. I am not
really surprised by this request, despite contradictory comments about
this exact point in the past few weeks.

Despite the excellent performance improvements, it is by far not ready
to be used as base for the next major release, the release we will
have to maintain for the next decade. There is almost no
documentation, the APIs are not clean or inconsistent (just came back
home, will provide details later) but having two separate zpp, same
area's functions mixing use of zend_char and char (creating hard to
catch bugs, not always catch-able at compile time f.e.), no (known)
plan about when the experiments will stop and when or how deep the
cleanup will be done.

In other words, I cannot agree to replace master with phpng, not with
its current state and it is definitively not what I could imagine as a
base for php-next. A roadmap, undocumented and plan-less development
(sorry, but stacking up a couple of % performance improvement has
little to nothing to do with designing php-next)  is the best way to
fail to have what many of our users and developers could expect for
php-next.

Cheers,
--
Pierre