On Jul 28, 2014 1:23 PM, "Andrea Faulds" <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

> On 28 Jul 2014, at 12:20, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:
>
> > "Though this is a small change I believe it will bring significant value
> > to the PHP community. "
> >
> > The only value removing functions brings is broken code. There are no
> > functional issues with the existing functions. Leave them alone.
>
> That sums up my thoughts on this as well. There’s nothing much wrong with
the imagettf functions. If the needless duplication really bothers people,
just make them FALIASes.

There are many areas I like to do such things, but these two functions were
definitely not on my list as they do not hurt nor create extra work. I
won't battle to keep them but this kind  of change  is the typical
debatable bc break.