> If it is changed to use its own namespace, user space APIs may be changed
> flexible and user controlled manner. Thus, PHP may have
>
>  - Consistent naming
>  - Consistent parameter order
>  - Graceful function/class/interface deprecation
> (We know what we should do for these, right?)

I do not support it for consistent naming or parameter order by
themselves; this would likely create more confusion.

However I see value in creating new APIs for certain operations such
as sorting, mapping, reducing and filtering. These new APIs could work
on both arrays and traversables and provide a more cohesive API. This
would 'fix' several bug reports dealing with array functions that you
can't pass traversables or array-like objects to where you would
reasonably expect to be able to. When creating these functions we
could be careful to create consistent naming conventions and
consistent parameter orders, but again I consider this a side-effect
rather than a reason.