Good evening,

Here’s a suggestion: Why don’t we make zend_parse_parameters emit
E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR on failure, rather than just emitting E_WARNING and
returning FAILURE (causing the caller to typically bail out and return NULL)?
This would bring it into line with userland type hints, which also cause such
errors. It might also cause errors to be caught sooner, as just returning NULL
can cause cryptic problems down the line. It’s worth noting that
zend_parse_parameters is very tolerant in terms of what parameters you can pass
it and is unlikely to error unless you do something really weird such as
passing an array to strlen(). I doubt this would affect backwards compatibility
much, unless your application relies on a silenced warning (which is possible,
but discouraged behaviour), and it’s the type of BC break that would be really
obvious (your application errors and stops execution).

Thoughts?
--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/