Hi!

> I do believe that the UString class would benefit from such a change.
>
> Why would it be confusing to implement this?

For some objects, it may lead to rather strange results - i.e.,
Exception has __toString() but probably not very useful one for use as
an array key. So may some other __toString methods. But in general, if
we streamline the conversion rules and set expectations, I don't see why
PHP engine can not check for object's convertor to string and even to
int if string one is not there. Yes, that would hide some errors but
also will enable some capabilities (like much smoother work with objects
that may simulate numbers, akin to GMP).

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/